"Welcome to West Chester! Here is your parking ticket. "
Unfortunately, this is a familiar joke in downtown West Chester PA and has been for many years (We even have a tile/coaster that says it:). The parking situation has only gotten worse this year due to the Gay Street Aqua construction project (estimated completion end of March 2019) and the 44 West Plaza construction on the corner of Gay and High (estimated completion end of 2019).
As you can probably tell this is all happening smack dab across from KALY!
It is affecting us as well as many downtown business negatively. Never fear though, we have all the best tips and tricks for parking downtown. Thanks to all our loyal customers for continuing to frequent us and the other businesses affected. We love our amazing customers!
Parking Guide to Downtown West Chester (and KALY:):
1) KALY Back Lot - Yes, we have 4 spots open for customers behind the store. Just enter our lot off of Prescott Alley via Church Street or High Street. Our lot is lined, says 'Kaly Customers Only' and our back door is open during regular business hours so just stroll on in.
2) High (Bicentennial) and Chestnut Street Garages - These are the best options for parking downtown because you are not going to get a ticket! They charge the same price as meters and now thru March 30th we have parking validation 'chasers' to give out that get you 2 hours of free parking! Just ask us for one (or two). Many other downtown stores have them too.
Bicentenial Garage is located at 20 South High Street between Market & Miner Streets.
Chestnut Garage is located at 14 East Chestnut Street.
3) Growers Market Lot (Lot 10) at 50 West Chestnut Street - We love this lot because it is close to KALY and always has open spaces. Currently, most of the spots have been leased for the construction crews for the Plaza construction but there are approx 30 spaces free for everyone else. You use a kiosk to pay so be sure to read the directions as you will need your car license plate #!
4) Meters - The seemingly 'easiest' option is to drive down the street in town and find an open spot. This is more difficult now due to the Gay Street closure (Aqua project) and the construction. Also, be wary of tickets! Put extra money in (use a credit card). Remember the meters are free on Saturdays till 5pm and all day/night on Sundays.
5) Justice Center Garage (across from new Courthouse on Market St) - This garage is free after 5pm weekdays and on weekends. Park there on weekends, it is safe and so close to the French Bakery (La Baguette Magique) and Carlino's. After you're done there, you can walk up town to visit us. :)
Also, more info (hours or operation, costs, directions) is available at the BID website.
So, that is our best advice regarding parking in downtown West Chester. Remember, walking is good for you. Tickets are not! Enjoy.